Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-users] Problem with h245 dissector

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:03:38 +0100
Martin Regner wrote:
> There is something on page 446 i Dubuissons book "ASN.1 Communication
> Between Heterogeneous Systems" (chapter 20.6.10 Character Strings and
Dates)
> that I think could be an explanation to why the decoding with Ethereal
> 0.9.16 fails for this scenario.
>
> Dubissons book can be downloaded from OSS Nakalva's homepage:
> http://www.oss.com/asn1/dubuisson.html
>
> I'm not completely sure if I have understood the text correct, but my
> preliminar interpretion of the text is that since there is 8 bits used for
> each character then every character of the string is encoded as its
> associated number in the the interval (0..127) for IA5 characters (i.e.
0x32
> for '2') instead of reindexing the characters as the index in
> "!#*0123456789ABCD" (i.e. 0x05 for '2').

On page 305 in the "ASN.1 Complete" by Larmouth its written in a way that I
think is more easy to understand:
"If remapping the original values to a compact range from zero to n-1 does
not produce a reduction
in number of bits per character in the PER encoding (for whichever variant
is in use), then the remapping is
not done, and the original associated value is used in the encoding."

http://www.c7.com/ss7/books/ASN1_Complete.pdf