Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Performance. Ethereal is slow when usinglargec aptures.

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:11:27 +1100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Harris"
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Performance. Ethereal is slow when usinglargec
aptures.

> but
> I suspect the number of people who would be hurt by that would be
> significantly lower than the number of people who would be helped by
> speeding up other operations such as reading files in.

IMHO,  reding files in is one thing and it would be great if that could be
sped up as well.
However, for many users using huge captures the file is only read in once
when we load it into ethereal.
After that initial load we might filter and refilter the capture file 20-30+
times.
It would be sufficient to start with to make the refiltering faster since
many who have a problem with the performance/speed
do refiltering many many times more often than the load a new file into the
tool.
Thus for those people (myself included) we can happily live with the initial
load being slow, as long as the other 20-30+ times we refilter the trace is
faster.