Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Performance. Ethereal is slow whenusinglargecaptures.

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 14:12:21 +1100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Sharpe"
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Performance. Ethereal is slow
whenusinglargecaptures.

> Can I suggest that we only change those things that gprof indicates are a
> problem?

Yes certainly.
The value_string suboptimality is not even on the performance map yet. And
wont be worked on until it is in the gprof top 10 anyway.
But unless we mess up,  value_string will be up there ready to be looked at
sometime in the future.

Let us hope however that we will soon need to look at value strings, since
that would mean that we would have solved a large number of other
performance blackholes and would enter into "gimme the last humanly possible
0.3 % performance boost territory"