Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] improved NTP decoding

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:12:05 -0800

On Nov 12, 2003, at 1:05 PM, Matthias Drochner wrote:

	I moved the "dissect_ntp_std()" code one tab stop to the left;

This was intentional, to keep the diff size small.

Diffs are used only once; minimizing the size of a diff used as a patch isn't all that important a goal.

If somebody wants to read a diff, they could use the "-b" or "-w" flag when they make it, to suppress indentation differences.

	I changed "dissect_ntp_ext()" *not* to require that the offset be 48
bytes (dissecting multiple extensions should work fine - at least from
the ntpd code I've seen

It is fine from the NTP point of view -- I just wasn't sure it is legal
to use one hf_* node multiple times within one packet.

It's completely legal.

The documentation isn't clear about this.

Isn't clear, or just doesn't explicitly mention that you can? I.e., is there anything in the documentation that you read as implying that it might not be legal?