Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal filters are case sensitive

From: Kevin <kem2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:18:17 -0500
Tanks for the quick answer.  I will put this into my note file.

Kevin

On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 02:16 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Oct 26, 2003, at 7:27 PM, Kevin wrote:

Must be bug night for me.  Just noticed this,
In my hosts file, I have the entry:
172.26.12.8     Vincent-1

If I create the filter ip.src == Vincent-1 , ethereal performs the action.

When i use the filter ip.src == vincent-1, I get a popup with the error:
	"vincent-1" is not a valid hostname or IPv4 address

This is reproducible using various names. It is both annoying and confusing. Could this be made case insensitive?

Yes, if you can get Apple to make it case-insensitive. Ethereal doesn't translate host names to IP addresses; it relies on the OS's "gethostbyname()" routine to do that, and it appears that lookups done by the Mac OS X "gethostbyname()" are, for lookups in "/etc/hosts", case-sensitive.