Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Questions about Connection Oriented SCCP

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:41:50 -0700

On Oct 7, 2003, at 8:01 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:

I think a conversation is probably the best way to go--MTP3 point codes are the addresses and xLRs are the "ports", though in order to do this I think the conversation routines would need to know about MTP3 point codes as addresses (probably as guint32's so the conversation code wouldn't have to learn about all the different variants?).

All you'd need to do to have the conversation code (in the sense of the stuff in epan/conversation.{c,h}) know about that would be to create an address type for MTP3 point codes; add an AT_MTP3 (or whatever the appropriate name is) to the "address_type" enum in "epan/packet_info.h", have the MTP3 code construct the address structure appropriately, and use those structures when creating conversations.

If you add to "address_to_str_buf()" in "epan/to_str.c" code to handle those addresses, you could have the MTP3 dissector do "SET_ADDRESS()" calls to set "pinfo->net_src" and "pinfo->net_dst", which would cause the address columns for packets containing MTP3 to show the point codes (I assume "DPC" is "Destination Point Code" and "OPC" is "Origination Point Code") in the address columns. (For SS7-over-IP, I don't know whether that'd be considered a feature or a misfeature - it might be nice to have a way of controlling which level of address shows up in the address columns, both for cases where you have one network-layer-like protocol, such as MTP3, carried inside other protocols with their own network layer and for cases where you carry one network-layer protocol inside other protocols with the *same* network layer, e.g. various ways of tunneling IP traffic inside IP, including IP-over-Frame Relay-over-GRE-over-IP-over-Ethernet; people have sent captures with that....)