Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-users] Questions on using ethereal / tethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:29:16 -0700
On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 07:13:05PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> There's also a Tethereal warning for that - perhaps we should have
> different command-line arguments for "break the capture up into multiple
> files" and "use multiple files as a ring buffer".

In fact, "-C" would be an ideal command-line flag for that, taking a
mximum file size (in units of 1,000,000 bytes) as an argument, because
that's what the current CVS version of tcpdump has for the same purpose:

       -C     Before  writing  a  raw packet to a savefile, check
              whether the file is currently larger than file_size
              and,  if  so, close the current savefile and open a
              new one.  Savefiles after the first  savefile  will
              have  the  name  specified with the -w flag, with a
              number after  it,  starting  at  2  and  continuing
              upward.   The  units  of  file_size are millions of
              bytes (1,000,000 bytes, not 1,048,576 bytes).

although if we use 1,048,576-byte megabytes elsewhere, that might be
confusing.