Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] about ethereal

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:21:47 -0700

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 2:02AM, RABRET Laurent FTRD/DAC/ISS wrote:

I do agree, it's not purely Ethereal specific but it would be so cool to have a "plug and play" Ethereal distribution for Windows able to capture
traffic stemming from LAN AND dialup networks (the NM driver is
automatically distributed with Windows on 2000 & XP).

Does the libpcap-for-NM-driver implementation do packet filtering in user mode or in a kernel driver? If it's in user mode, the LAN capture might be best done with WinPcap, as its driver does packet filtering (so packets that would have been discarded in user mode don't even get copied up to userland).

 If the NM<->pcap
adaptor is part of libpcap we can forget the "plug & play" feature...

Not if we arrange to install that version of libpcap as well.

If the NM<->pcap adaptor *isn't* part of libpcap, you would have to build *other* tools that use libpcap (e.g., Snort) specially (which would require a "developer's pack" for the NM<->pcap adaptor, rather than having the header files be part of Ethereal).