Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] about ethereal

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:21:52 -0700

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 5:05PM, hongbin.fei wrote:

I am a delphi programmer,and  I find a good component in http://winpcap.polito.it/ but it can not query a device which is Dial-up or Adsl ,even I accroding their giude, add [network monittor] ; can ethereal query them?

No, it can't do so, for the same reason that the Delphi component can't do so - WinPcap 3.0 *itself* can't do so (they removed the ability to handle PPP devices in 3.0, as there are *many* problems with it, some of which can cause system crashes), and WinPcap 2.3 can *sometimes* do so if you have the Network Monitor driver installed (as long as you try to access the correct device, which is the one that has "bh" or "Bh" or something like that in the name; "bh" stands for "Bloodhound", which is, I think, Microsoft's internal name for Network Monitor, it being like a bloodhound dog, sniffing the network) but can't always do so.

or can you give me the suggestion to capture tcp package from dial-up and adsl connection?

Un-install Windows, and install BSD or Linux instead. (I'd suggest BSD, as Linux's PPP-sniffing support, while it's not as bad as Windows+WinPcap, isn't as good as BSD's.) There's even apparently a Delphi for Linux:

	http://www.borland.com/kylix/

as Kylix supports Linux. (Whether the Delphi Pcap component works is another matter. I don't use Delphi, so I can't help you with it.)

This isn't really an Ethereal issue; you should probably ask further questions on the winpcap-users mailing list:

	http://winpcap.polito.it/contact.htm

You have to subscribe to the list in order to post to it.