Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-users] development doubt.

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:23:37 -0700
On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:20:25AM +0530, Mudium, Ravi (Ravi)** CTR ** wrote:
> I have a capture file . Based on one byte in a packet I want to get what is
> the type of packet after 13 packets with each packet size is 46 byes (in hex
> dump).
> Ex.  If packet no x is type  y what is packet type at x+13.
>
> Which variable keeps track of  the whole byte stream in the capture file.

There is no such variable.

You would have to maintain that information yourself.

Note also that, when dissecting the packet at x, you do not have any
access to information about later packets during the first pass through
the capture file.  That is the *only* pass in Tethereal; in Ethereal,
that information would be available (if you maintained it yourself) when
the packet is, for example, clicked on, or when doing a "print" pass.