Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Binary PDUs in TCP: Possible to put each on di fferent summar

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:19:18 -0700
On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 05:15:23PM -0600, Bryant Eastham wrote:
> I appreciate your quick (if not ideal) reply.
>
> Is this sort of thing viewed by the majority as a limitation?

I'm not the majority - I'd only be the majority if I were the only
developer - so I can't answer that question; I'm CCing my reply to
ethereal-dev, so we can actually ask enough people to get a majority.

> It certainly
> is for the class of protocols that I work with. Viewing it a nice thing, and
> with your knowledge of the internals, would such a feature be difficult to
> implement?

I don't know.  You'd have to look through the code to see how many
places assume (implicitly or explicitly) that there's a one-to-one
correspondence between frames and rows.

Note also that

	1) the way the summary display works is subject to change (e.g.,
	   it's subject to being modified so that the text values of the
	   columns in a row are found not by storing them in a data
	   structure attached to a row but by reading in the frame and
	   dissecting it);

	2) people might, in the future, want a feature that does
	   multiple rows per frame, but not of the sort you're talking
	   about - they might want to be able to display a multi-line
	   Info column for a *single* packet, or they might want to
	   display Info column values for all the layers in the packet
	   (Network Associates' Sniffer can do that), so a scheme to do
	   multiple Info lines should be able to handle all of those
	   being in effect for the same frame.