Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] VMS UCX$TRACE support patch

From: Martin Warnes <martin.warnes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 07:31:55 +0100
On Mon, 19 May 2003, Guy Harris wrote:

> The page at
>
> 	http://www-vms.gsi.de/HELP
>
> appears to contain HELP output for VMS, and the help output for
> "TCPIPTRACE":
>
> 	http://www-vms.gsi.de/HELP/TCPIPTRACE
>
> says the "TCPIPTRACE" command "Starts the UCX$TRACE utility."  However,
> the help for "TCPTRACE":
>
> 	http://www-vms.gsi.de/HELP/TCPTRACE
>
> says it "Starts the TCPTRACE utility."

I must admit my VMS knowledge isn't that great, I stumbled across this when
I was writing the Connect:Direct dissector as a work project. I asked one of
the VMS developers of the product for a TCPIPtrace or DBS Etherwatch trace
to test against and he told told me they didn't use either product as VMS
had it's own UCX$TRACE utility. From that I assumed it was a different
product.

It could be the case that a version of TCPIPtrace found it's way into the
VMS base product as they are very similar, like I said, with only the
utility title and packet sequencing differing.

I will take a look at simplifying the vms_check_file_type() routine to
trap any variants of the TCP[IP]trace, UCX$TRACE titles. I will also
look at creating a vms_t structure and storing the format type for later
use in packet parsing, it might make things easier if in future another
format appears.

If you leave the current patch in place I will make my changes against
that version.

Martin