Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Writing Decoders for Ethereal

From: Erwin Rol <erwin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Apr 2003 19:18:21 +0200
On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 19:04, S. Faizi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in writing a decoder for a proprietary protocol. This
> proprietary protocol is carried by SCTP data chunk, and a few messages
> are carried by UDP. I started by reading "README.developer" file in
> code directory. Since this would be the first time I would be writing
> a decoder for ethereal, I wanted to know if there is a better resource
> available to get me started quickly. Is there an online tutorial etc.

What i did was just take a look at other decoders, the general setup is
the same for all of them. And really not that hard, within a few hours
you should have a decoder framework in place. For more advanced tricks
find a decoder that does what you need and look at its source.

The source is the best tutorial there is, one of the good things of
OpenSource.

- Erwin

--
              Dipl.-Ing. Erwin Rol - Software Engineering
tel: +49-(0)8024-479377  gsm: +49-(0)171-6929198 fax: +49-(0)8024-479379