Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Updated yahoo messenger protocol dissector

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:11:15 +0100
Wayne,

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:16:37PM +1000, Wayne Parrott wrote:
> I have been playing around with ethereal and come up with a patch to
> decode the latest version of the yahoo messenger protocol.

Great!

> It gets most packets fine, but it looks like I am going to need to join
> some of the packets as they are split over multiple tcp packets, where
> is the best place to get info about this?

You may want to take a look at other dissectors that have the same problem:
you need tcp desegmentation. Look at packet-skinny.c for an example (there
are many more, I just picked one).

> Let me know if you have any problems or see any places for improvement.

1) Please do not create a separate .h file that is only included in one .c
file - just insert the code into the .c file directly.
2) Do not use c++ (c99) style comments (//), use old style comments instead.
3) Add your dissector to Makefile.nmake too.

> P.S. I couldn't work out how to get cvs diff to include my new files in
> it's patch so the packet-ymsg.[ch] will need to be added seperately.

I thinks you did it right.

 Ciao
             Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know