Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] sll dissector registration

From: John Leach <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Feb 2003 10:38:20 +0000
Ok, thanks.

The reason I ask is I'm writing wiretap support for the Firestorm NIDS
(http://www.scaramanga.co.uk/firestorm) alert log which dumps out the
sll layer too.  I have an "Alert" dissector first, so I need to call the
sll dissector rather than just set the encap whilst reading.

Firestorm uses an mmapped packet socket for capture, so the sll
structure is different too (tpacket_hdr + alignment + sockaddr_ll +
alignment).  Bit of a pain really as I've had to mod packet-sll to
detect this and act accordingly.

I may just check the ethertype inside the sll in my alert handler and
jump directly to ether.  Unless somebody thinks mmapped packet socket
sll support would be useful?  (I'm not sure where else this would crop
up)  It might be nice to be able to capture using this method... has
anybody thought about this before?

~John.