Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Build ethereal within cygwin

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 02:23:00 +0100
Hi Guy,

Thanks a lot for pointing to the issue! I finally got it working,
I had to do a
  $ make clean ; make
in <ethereal-src>/gtk prior to do a new
  $ ./configure --without-pcap --without-plugins
in <ethereal-src>. After removing the ethereal.exe binary, a simple
  $ make ethereal.exe
just creates a working Ethereal executable!

Here are the steps to build ethereal in the cygwin environment:

1. Install the required cygwin packages (compiler, scripting, X, zlib)
   with the CygWin setup.exe tool.
   You need the base Xfree86 support plus the X headers package in order
   to be able to compile the gtk+ package.

2. Download glib-1.2.10 and gtk+-1.2.10 from a mirror of www.gnome.org.

3. Retrieve the patches for glib-1.2.10 and gtk+-1.2.10 from
   http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.obrien2/

 + glib-1.2.10
   http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.obrien2/ (URL cont'd on next line)
          /libs/patches/glib-1.2.10-cygwin.patch
   In step 4:
     $ CFLAGS=-O2 ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome --with-threads=posix

 + gtk+-1.2.10
   http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.obrien2/ (URL cont'd on next line)
          /libs/patches/gtk+-1.2.10-cygwin.patch
   In step 4:
     $ CFLAGS=-O2 ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome

4. Compile and install both packages after patching (see instructions
   at the bottom of http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.obrien2/).

5. Patch the Makefile.am in <ethereal-src>/gtk/Makefile.am by
   removing "gtkclist.c" from the dependencies.

   This patch is required since the private GTK+ clist widget
   (was required for earlier versions of GTK+ but prevents Ethereal
   from running with cygwin)

6. Configure and make Ethereal:
     $ PATH=/opt/gnome/bin:$PATH
     $ ./autogen.sh --without-pcap --without-plugins
     $ ./configure --without-pcap --without-plugins
     $ make
   This make will eventually stop, but it is required as e.g., the
   GTK binaries are built then.
     $ make ethereal.exe

7. Start X
     $ sh /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh
   For non-US keyboard layouts, use (replace 'be' with your layout):
     $ setxkbmap.exe -layout be

8. Run ethereal (add /opt/gnome/bin to $PATH if this is not yet done)
     $ <ethereal-src>/ethereal

Share and Enjoy!

Olivier