Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal-0.9.0 compilation bug

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:59:43 +0200
On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 04:40:08AM +0930, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> This is an old, old version. Please get the latest version off of the web
> site.

Normally the correct answer, unfortunately in this case it is wrong.

> Then, if you still have the problem, ask again.

See my answer below.

> > checking for net/bpf.h... no
> > configure: error: Header file net/bpf.h not found; if you installed libpcap
> > from source, did you also do "make install-incl"?

Actually, this is not so much a problem in Ethereal but a problem
in the interaction of an old version of autoconf with new build tools
(e.g. gcc 3.x emitting messages that 2.x didn't emit) thus causing
the build process to fail. The last release version of Ethereal is
0.9.6 which was still built with that old version of autoconf. The
next version will be built with a newer version that doesn't have
these problems any more.

If you want to try now, you can either use the sources in cvs or download
the following rebuilt archive:

http://www-agrw.informatik.uni-kl.de/home/jmayer/ethereal-0.9.6.tar.gz

Please note that although it does have the same name as the realease
package it was created from cvs sources a few days newer than the release
(not that this should matter - it doesn't seem to have mattered to the
people who have been asking that question in the past).

  Ciao
       Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know