Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-users] search for string in data?

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:07:29 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Mathias Koerber wrote:

> how can I (display) filter on packets which contain an arbitrary
> string anywhere inside the packet?
>
> >From the list of fields I can guess that I need to use the ´data´
> field, but I cannot fgure out how to express the rest. The substring
> functions seem to require me specifying known locations, but
> as yet I have no idea where in the packet mystring will turn up.
>
> IOW, I'm looking for something like
> 	$date =~ /mystring/;

Ethereal doesn't support this at the present time.  It is a
frequently-requested feature, however.

Does anyone know of any regular expression libraries that

  Are portable across the platforms Ethereal runs on,

  Are fast, and

  Support matches against data types that the average Ethereal user would
  need, such as hexadecimal values?