Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Generic encapsulation?

From: David Frascone <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Sep 2002 22:24:14 -0500
I'm trying to dissect a custom protocol that encapsulates on the wire
protocols into udp.

So, in the simple case, I could call the ethernet dissector like this:

	eth_handle = find_dissector("eth");

	/* Dissect as Ethernet */
	next_client	= tvb_new_subset(tvb, 0, -1, -1);
	call_dissector(eth_handle, next_client, pinfo, bsn_tree);

But, my problem is, that *all* protocols are encapsulated.  So, after I
decapsulate it, I need to check the ethertype, as in
packet-ethertype.c.  But, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to do it
. . . any ideas?

Also, since this is a propriatary protocol, should I be writing a plugin
instead of a normal dissector?  I guess that would make more since  . .
. it'd be easier than maintaining a patch.

-Dave

--
David Frascone

                     Oxymoron: Real Magic.