Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] OID Names/Comments ...

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 17:44:34 -0700
On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 10:38:00AM +1000, HOOD, Andy wrote:
> I haven't looked but net-snmp probably lets you retrieve the description.

Yes, but it knows stuff about SNMP, so it doesn't meet at least one of
my preferred criteria:

	Ideally, that code would know *nothing whatsoever* about SNMP,
	so that it doesn't drag in a pile of other libraries not needed
	for the purpose of interpreting ASN.1 descriptions (e.g., the
	crypto library that the UCD SNMP library requires on some
	platforms; that requirement causes all sorts of pain for people
	building from source on those platforms, as the configure script
	doesn't automatically try to find that library).

The fact that you have to use "--with-ssl=" causes periodic complaints
to ethereal-users and ethereal-dev.

I don't know whether it meets another criterion:

	I say "information base" rather than "management information
	base" or "MIB" as I'd like it to be able to read COPS policy
	information base information (see RFC 3084) as well, so the COPS
	dissector could use it rather than having some knowledge
	hard-wired into it.

> http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/ certainly does.

It also, as far as I know, knows about SNMP; I don't know whether it
could handle non-SNMP IB information.  If not, it has the same problems.