Ethereal-dev: Re: Re: Re: [Ethereal-dev] "usability extensions"

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:44:21 +0200
Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 02.09.02 21:42:50:
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 04:00:13PM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> > 1. Edit/Preferences...
>
> I would be very unhappy if, every time I changed the protocol
> preferences, they overwrote the preferences in my preferences file, for
> the reasons I mentioned earlier.
>
> Perhaps the correct answer here would be to have, at least for the
> protocool preferences, *separate menu items* for editing your "default"
> preferences and for editing the current *settings* of those items; "OK"
> for the former would save them, "OK" for the latter would *NOT* save
> them.

Ok, I got the point (and of course we don't want you to be unhappy ;-).
I think seperate menu items would be even more confusing for a the user.

What do you think of comparing, at program quit, the current with the saved
settings and popup a dialogbox if they are different,
asking to save or ignore the changes made.
This should be done for every setting file seperately.

> > 5.  Edit/Protocols...  is currently not saved at all.
>
> That's because nobody's contributed code to save them.

Well I have expected that...

> > Disadvantage: This would make it impossible to have two filters with
> > the same name (but I think, this is not really a problem).
>
> It would also mean that some filter names wouldn't be possible, e.g.
> filters with "/" in their names, as that's an illegal file name
> character in UNIX, as it's a pathname separator, and, as I remember,
> Windows makes it illegal as well even though "\" is the pathname
> separator.

We could escape these characters and double filternames, so it should work.

> That *might* be a problem if users already have filters with those
> names.
>
> > If we want to do it that way, we should put all the display filter
> > files in a subdirectory maybe called "displayfilters" as this could be a
> > lot of files and this would keep a better overview.
>
> If we put each filter in a file, I'd definitely say we should put them
> in subdirectories.

As I have no problem with all display filters are kept in a single file,
this point has really a low priority for me.

ULFL
Die clevere Geldreserve: der DiBa-Privatkredit. Funktioniert wie ein Dispo,
ist aber viel gunstiger! Alle Infos: http://diba.web.de/?mc=021104