Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] omniidl problem in trying compile IDL

From: Frank Singleton <frank.singleton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:15:03 -0500
Bernd Becker wrote:

> --On Tuesday, August 13, 2002 18:46:39 -0400 "Patnaik, Anjela"
> <APatnaik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Frank & others:
>
> > Now, when I try to use omniidl, i get this error:
> >
> > I have placed all IDL files in the same directory
> > where I have ethereal and all its scripts and c files
> >
> > $ omniidl -p ./ -b ethereal_be GlobalDefs.idl
> > omniidl: Could not import back-end `ethereal_be'
> > omniidl: Maybe you need to use the -p option?
> > omniidl: (The error was `No module named tempfile')

Hmm. locate tempfile.py gives

/usr/lib/python1.5/tempfile.py
/usr/lib/python1.5/tempfile.pyc
/usr/lib/python1.5/tempfile.pyo
/usr/lib/python2.2/tempfile.py
/usr/lib/python2.2/tempfile.pyc
/usr/lib/python2.2/tempfile.pyo

on my linux box.

And cat tempfile.py shows

def TemporaryFile(mode='w+b', bufsize=-1, suffix=""):

So at least they are there on my system, and I have not
done anything special to load extra modules etc..

Are you sure that you have set PYTHONPATH to something
like /usr/lib/python1.5/

And that ethereal_*.py is either in the current directory
or in $PYTHONPATH/site-packages

OR as Bernd,suggested, do you really have a full python installation
or a partial one.

The latter may be the case if you cannot find tempfile.py

Regards / Frank

--
EUS/SV/Z Frank Singleton      ASO Americas BSS
Office : +1 972 583 3251      ECN 800 33251

Hardware: HP Omnibook 4150 running Redhat Linux 7.3 (2.4.18-5 kernel).