Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: EditCap

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 03:17:22 +0930 (CST)
On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Eyal Harari wrote:

[added ethereal-dev as this is of general interest]

Thank you for your enquiry.

> Hello,
>
> I have noticed you are the one behind the EditCap utility.

I seem to remember being the original author, as it overcame a deficiency
in Ethereal that is now largly gone.

> I noticed it support RADCOM analyzer and also Sniffer .CAP files.

This support is all because libwiretap supports a large number of formats.
I am not sure that RADCOM's format is there, but it might be, especially
if RadCom uses an existing format.

> I wonder whether RADCOM format you are using is up to date and whether you
> are interesting in RADCOM new analyzer (The Performer) format.

I am not sure. We would appreciate it if it were kept up to date.

> Can I have the Sniffer .CAP file format and\or a sample code that reads this
> file

If you are implying that RadCom uses the Sniffer format, that is
interesting.

In any case, all the code for different formats is in ethereal/wiretap.
And I notice that there is a radcom.c file in there.

I believe that there are a set of capture files up on www.ethereal.dev. I
personally do not have any Sniffer or RadCom capture files as I have never
had the opportunity to use those packages.

Please continue to investigate this and update the appropriate code as
needed to understand the latest versions of these capture files.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe@xxxxxxxxxx, rsharpe@xxxxxxxxx,
sharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx