Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Help me get started on OS/2

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:03:32 -0800 (PST)
> I'm trying to get Ethereal compiling with gcc under OS/2.
> When I run ./configure, I get stopped here:

> checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... configure: error: can not run test program while cross compiling

Somehow, the configure script thinks the C compiler is a cross compiler.

This appears, from a quick look at the autoconf source, to be the result
of a trivial program being detected as failing to compile.

This may be the result of the autoconf code not working on OS/2.

> Is there any help someone can provide?

Try one of the following:

	1) not using OS/2;

	2) not using autoconf, but, instead, figuring out what it would
	   do and doing it yourself;

	3) checking to see if there's any information about support for
	   OS/2 in autoconf in the bug database for autoconf, and, if
	   you find nothing, asking the autoconf mailing list for help.

>From your signature line, 1) is probably not an interesting alternative.

2) would be hard, *but* you might be able to do it a bit quicker by
using the "config.h.win32" files as prototypes for hand-constructed OS/2
"config.h" files.  The "Makefile.nmake" files, however, might not be as
helpful for constructing Makefiles.

For 3), check out

	http://sources.redhat.com/autoconf/

for information on the mailing lists and bug databases.