Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal Core

From: "Fin Johanson" <finim22@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:45:24 +0000

/* from README.developer... */
When a packet is selected in the packet-list pane, or a packet popup
window is created, a new logical protocol tree (proto_tree) is created.
The pointer to the proto_tree (in this case, 'protocol tree'), is passed
to the top-level protocol dissector, and then to all subsequent protocol
dissectors for that packet, and then the GUI tree is drawn via
proto_tree_draw().

I was hoping that at some point in time a CORE section could be added to the ethereal devoper README file. We as possible developers don't need it to write a dissector. But, it would be really nice to have. I have been going through the src for the last week trying to understand the extension of the above mentioned paragraph. The process of dissection. I was hoping you (someone) could elaborate it for me a bit. I know that the top level dissector is the frame dissector. I was hoping you could summarize the process of dissection from there. As far as how each protocol know which protocol to pass it to next.

thanks in advance,
Fin Johanson