Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Request for help - odd dissector bug.

From: Gylve <gylve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:15:17 +0000 (GMT)
I am currently in the process of writing an Ethereal
DLL plugin to dissect a particular message type for
the company I work for. I took on the code (in an
early form) from a co-worker but it contained an odd
bug which I have failed to track down.

When running the dissector under normal circumstances,
the "info" and "protocol" columns do not contain
accurate information about the packets that are being
dissected. The protocol column is supposed to contain
a count of the number of protocol packets in the TCP
packet, however, this is always incorrectly reported
as 2. The info column generally contains the correct
identity of the packet, plus a "rogue" addition.
Strangely, if any display filter is specified at all,
the code starts working perfectly, with both colums
displaying the correct information. I have correctly
used the col_clear functions to wipre out any
information that may be left over from the previous
TCP packet. The packet dissection itself always works
perfectly. I have compared my code with many of the
source dissectors in the Ethereal source code, and I
cannot see anything that they are doing which I am
not. I am currently running version 0.8.2 of Ethereal.

Apologies for the vague description, but I have to
respect our companies privacy. Any help will be
gratefully received. Also, apologies if this is not
the correct newsgroup to which I should address such a
query.

G Power.