Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problems building ethereal 0.9.0 with --enable-dftest

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:37:24 -0600
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:10:57 Alex Huetter wrote:
> I hope not to repeat an already known problem, but I didn't find anything
> corresponding in the mailinglists.

> It seems that 'wiretap/file.o' (resp. wiretap/libwiretap.a), where these
> functions are implemented, isn't linked to dftest.
> I suppose that 'wiretap/libwiretap.a' is missing in 'dftest_additional_libs'
> in the Makefile.in.
> When adding this lib I was able to build dftest.
>
> Alex

Thanks. dftest isn't one of those things we build regularlyl. Yes, after
ringbuffer.c was added to ETHEREAL_COMMON_SRC, then dftest needs
wiretap. Eventually, when all the dissectors and the core support routines
for dissection are moved into libepan, then dftest won't need wiretap,
as ringbuffer.c isn't involved in packet dissection, but rather,
packet capture.

For now, linking dftest against wiretap is probably the easiest solution,
and is not that bad. The alternative is to split up ETHEREAL_COMMON_SRC
into stuff for dissection, and stuff for capture, but that's a lot
of work for a problem that will eventually disappear.

I'll check in the change,

thanks,

--gilbert