Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] O.K. -- what dumb thing am I missing?

From: Bernd Becker <bb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:20:26 +0100
Hi,
just to let you know ...

Known bug in automake 1.5.  The full details and a patch that has
already been committed to their cvs tree can be found in gnats pr
automake/279 at http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl.  (Login
with username/password guest/guest.)

I just had to install a Solaris 8 machine and got automake-1.5
and autoconf-2.52 from sunfreeware.com and ran into the same
problems as Greg did. So I followed Scott's link above and
downloaded the current CVS version of automake. That worked
except for the following problem reported by configure:

  $...ethereal/missing: Unknown `--run' option
  Try `...ethereal/missing --help' for more information
  configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing.

(That kind of fits the subject of this thread :-)
The new automake wants a newer version of the 'missing' script!
The one that comes with ethereal doesn't know about the "--run".
So I deleted "missing" and automake then links it to its /usr/local/share/automake-1.5c/missing.
After that (actually after putting /usr/xpg4/bin way in front in PATH
to avoid the "broken" SUN sed), ethereal builds without a problem.

So this "missing --run" thing is something we'll probably run into
more often ...

Bernd