Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] patches for make targets solaris-package and svr4-package

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:01:24 -0800 (PST)
> Sorry.  I had an explanation originally, but my machine flaked out
> before I could send.

I've checked in the mkpkg and checkinstall.in patches; I'll see if
there's a way to get install-strip not to try to strip scripts
(hopefully they didn't just decide "GNU strip is smart enough not to
strip non-executable non-object files, what's the problem?").

> > > In addition to the attached patches I think the directory
> > > packaging/svr4/nsis can be deleted?
> >
> > It can - it's empty - but I'm not sure CVS has a notion of deleting
> > directories, so we may be stuck with an empty directory.
>
> Oh well.

Apparently the "-P" flag to cvs will clean up old directories; from the
CVS man page:

     -P	   Prune (remove) directories that are empty after  being
	  updated,  on	checkout,  or update.  Normally, an empty
	  directory (one  that	is  void  of  revision-controlled
	  files)  is  left alone.  Specifying -P will cause these
	  directories to be silently removed from  your	 checked-
	  out  sources.	  This does not	remove the directory from
	  the repository, only from your checked out copy.   Note
	  that	this option is implied by the -r or -D options of
	  checkout and export.

I don't know whether "cvs update -d" will try to re-create them;
presumably "cvs update -Pd" won't.