Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] viewing captures from different timezones

From: Richard Urwin <RUrwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:47:31 -0000
Before the *nix'ers out there look too pleased with themselves ;-) ...

If I had a capture file produced last summer in a different time zone how do
I display it now (in winter)? Howabout if it was produced somewhere around
the ST/DST changeover a year or two back? Or if it was captured over-night
at the time of the change-over?

This seems to be a global problem with no standardised solution. I know it
has bitten me before, and not with Ethereal.

The workaround for Windows platforms is the same as *nix: change your
time-zone. There isn't so much problem with this as there might be with
*nix, as Windows is only a toy OS <duck>. Very few files might be created
with incorrect timestamps, and any email you send out will be slightly
misleading. Just remember to change it back afterwards.

Is there any milage in storing the current offset from UCT/GMT in the
capture file?
(only for native Ethereal captures, obviously.)

--
Richard Urwin, Software Design Engineer
Schenck Test Automation