Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] PPP 'record' interpretation

From: "Clinton East" <cjeast@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:16:47 +0800
Hi all,

I'm currently building myself a small PPP implementation and I'm using ethereal to interpret the files created by pppd as a reference.

My problem is that I'm capturing raw data directly on the serial port (just listening with another UART, cleaning up the escapes and printing)  and the data has some discrepancies from what ethereal reports.

I've attached a file, raw_serial_data, which shows what I'm seeing on the serial port.

Also, I've attached a (rather large, I'm sorry)
transcript of what ethereal tells me it sees in PPP's record file.

Which is the truth?  Does ethereal modify the data in anyway?  Can anyone hint me at where the problem may be introduced?

Thanks,

-CJE-

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup