Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] nfs : patch to snoop fhandle to filenames

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 02:28:24 -0800
On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 11:02:55AM +1100, Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
> attached is a new patch for nfs name snooping, it fixes the bug where the
> '/'
> separating path components were sometimes missing.

Checked in (with fixes to the preference names).

Does this include all the previous name snooping patches you've sent?

> it also adds a simple 32 bit xor hash value for every fh.
> using this hash makes it 'easier' to filter for specific fhandles.

Sun's snoop generates a 16-bit hash; unfortunately, from personal
experience, I can testify that their hashing mechanism is not good
enough to avoid collisions in real life captures, which is a nuisance.

They use the 16-bit hash in summary lines; we might want to think about
having ONC RPC protocols put more into the summary line than just the
version numbe, procedure name, call/reply indicator, and XID (i.e., have
subdissectors put some of the arguments and reply parameters into the
summary).