Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [Ethereal-users] "Files from that network type can't be saved

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:07:28 -0800 (PST)
> But neither of these are the case with any of the various 802 protocols,
> are they?

Yes, actually, they are.

The file formats Ethereal can write are:

	libpcap

	Network Monitor 1.x and 2.x

	NetXRay/Windows Sniffer

	DOS-based Sniffer

	pppdump

	snoop

	Visual Networks capture files

pppdump writes *only* PPP files, as you might expect, and handles no
802.x formats.

libpcap can handle 802.3/Ethernet II, 802.5 token ring, and 802.11, as
well as FDDI (which isn't an 802.x protocol, but it's another LAN
protocol and uses 802.2, so I'll treat it as being close to an 802.x
protocol)

Network Monitor can handle 802.3/Ethernet II, 802.5, and FDDI, but we do
*NOT* support 802.11.  The same applies to NetXRay/Windows Sniffer,
DOS-based sniffer, and snoop.  The code to write DOS-based Sniffer files
currently handles only bit-swapped FDDI, but that's arguably a bug.

Visual Network capture files can handle only 802.3/Ethernet II and
802.5.

(Some of them also handle some WAN formats.)