Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] small idl2eth update

From: Frank Singleton <frank.singleton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 05:10:01 -0600
Guy Harris wrote:

> Is there ever a case where the *exact same* operation name is used twice
> within the same IDL?  If so, how does that work?

Yep .............. (aaaaaaaaaarrrrggghhh!!!)

There exists a number of possible collisions where the operation
name seen "on the wire" is not unique either within the same IDL
or between IDL's. The latter case can be handled by disabling the
offending giop plugin. The former case requires a little more
work. Identical operations names can exist within a CORBA IDL
specification, but within a different namespace.

This could be improved by object_key <-> repoid mapping, which is
a WIP (work in progress) currently. However I have tested my code
using explicit dissection and it appears to work for simple cases.

ie: objkey -> Repo_ID -> Module/Interface -> giop_sub_handle_t

Currently I prefer users to  use the heuristic method , and that
is what idl2eth currently generates.

So for heuristic giop plugins, if "decode as" could choose "within"
a giop plugin, it would help greatly.

Maybe I'll make it a new year resolution (ha ha).

Cheers to the etheral crew for 2002

/ Frank..

--
EUS/SV/Z Frank Singleton      ASO Americas BSS
Office : +1 972 583 3251      ECN 800 33251

Hardware: HP Omnibook 4150 running Redhat Linux 7.1 (2.4.3-12 kernel).