Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] rtp dynamic payloads

From: Francisco Javier Cabello <pacoct@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 21:02:41 +0100
Hello,

I would like to add ethereal knowing about rtp dynamic payloads.
I don't know so much about ethereal architecture, because of that I need some
help to implement this feature.
I'll try to explain the problem. RTP defines a number for each payload which
is coded in the RTP header. Ethereal reads this payload number from rtp
header and call to one of the RTP dissectors which have been registered. The
problem is when payload number is a 'dynamic payload', in these cases, we
don't know which is the format packetized in the RTP packets, and because of
that we don't know which dissector have to call. To know it, we need search
in the SDP information.  One of the solution could be:
In packet-rtp.c, when we have to dissect rtp packet and I see that it's a
dynamic payload rtp packet, we could ask to 'SDP' module about the last
RTSP/SDP negotiation, and there, look for information which is coded as a
'Media attribute field'.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Regards.

	Francisco J. Cabello.