Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] tethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:59:42 -0800
On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 09:00:00PM +0100, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> thanks for fixing it. I'm wondering if it is possible to
> introduce another stop condition for capturing:
> Stop the capture if you have captured a packet which matches
> a given (display)-filter.

The "stop the capture" part is possible.

The display filter part would mean that you'd have to build the protocol
tree for each packet as they're captured; this is also possible (it's
similar to what happens with a read filter), although it might be
expensive (use significant amounts of CPU time).

It could also be done with a capture filter (which would be less
expensive).