Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal time problem with Sniffer Pro 4.50.04 files

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:36:30 -0800 (PST)
> The version is 002.002 and timeunit is 2.
> When time unit is 0 the times are match exactly.
> We have two alternatives:
> 	1. the TpS for timeunit 2 is wrong
> 	2. the TpS depends on media speed too
>
> What is your opinion?

My opinion is that we have more than two alternatives. :-)

	3. the interpretation of timeunit differs between version
	   002.001 and 002.002
	4. the interpretation of timeunit depends on some *other* field

I'd have to dig through the ethereal-dev archives to see how much of
what we currently handle is based on observation and how much is based
on extrapolation - for example, I don't know which of the TpS values are
based on examination of version 002.002 files; if they're based on
observation of 002.001 files, they might not be right for version
002.002 files.