Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problems trying to build Ethereal under FreeBSD ...

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 13:29:20 -0800
On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:34:18AM +1030, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> I just pulled Ethereal down and tried to build it under FreeBSD,

If what you pulled down was the CVS version...

> but make fails with:
>
> "Makefile", line 1142: Need an operator ...

..then the problem is probably that you're using the BSD make rather
than GNU make.  The CVS version of Ethereal requires GNU make (as is the
case, I suspect, with many other tools that use autoconf and automake;
autoconf/automake, when they build a distribution tarball, avoid using
GNU makeisms, but the makefiles generated in the development source tree
require it).

I think there are "ports"/"packages" for GNU make, or you can just
download the source and build it directly.

This is a bit of a pain, as the *OS* build procedures required BSD make,
so doing kernel builds, or rebuilding part or all of the rest of the OS,
requires a different make, so you may have to tweak your command search
path setting depending on what you're doing....