Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] asn.1 compiler used???

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:38:31 +0200
> I read somewhere that ethereal uses the openh323 asn.1 compiler. I have downloaded one
> but it generates the encode and decode routines in c++.( whereas the one used by ethereal is
> in C) .

No. Ethereal does not use the OpenH323 ASN.1 compiler. Period.

I have patched the OpenH323 compiler to generate part of an ethereal
dissector for H.323 It should be able to be used for other dissectors.

This ASN.1 compiler is not part of OpenH323 nor is it part of Ethereal.

To make the Ethereal capable compiler and PER and BER decoding routines part
of the Ethereal package two things will have to happen:
- Every (and I mean every) developer who has code written GPL code for
  Ethereal will have to give permission for the MPL licensed code (the
  decoder and associated code) to be linked against their code
- I have to find a way to make the the code generated by the compiler
  linkeable with the current Ethereal source. Since 0.8.17 (or .16?)
  the code will not link anymore (with VC++). I know that 0.8.15 still
  works, but...

--
Andreas Sikkema
andreas.sikkema@xxxxxxxxxxx