Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Running from Command line and suppress the GUI

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:07:28 -0700 (PDT)
> Is it possible to run Ethereal from the command line and suppress the
> GUI

No - Ethereal is a GUI application, so it makes no sense to suppress the
GUI.  If you want a capture or analysis program that doesn't pop up any
windows, use a non-GUI capture or analysis program, such as tcpdump,
snoop...

...or Tethereal.

> so that it can be launched with no trace from a batch file or other
> script file language.

What exactly is it you're trying to do here?  I.e., what do you want the
program you're running to do?  Capture packets?  Read a capture file and
send to its output a text dissection of the packets in the capture file?
In either of those cases, you'd want to use something such as Tethereal,
not Ethereal.