Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] source and build directory

From: "Dr. Uwe Girlich" <Uwe.Girlich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:39:52 +0200
Hello list!

I'm currently building regularily ethereal for 3 different OS:
i386-sni-sysv4 (SINIX-M)
i686-pc-linux-gnu (RedHat Linux)
mips-sni-sysv4 (SINIX-N)
and try now to seaprate the source directory (which is my CVS tree) and
the build directories. All this is exported via NFS to the different compile
systems.

The problem is, that autogen.sh cannot run in the build directory. At least
libtoolize must run in the source directory. It needs a configure.in file,
which is obviously not avalable in the build directory. I tried to fake one
(with touch) and libtoolize could run in the build directory but then the
following automake makes other problems:

I tried the automake option --srcdir-name=/path/to/my/cvs/tree but it could
somehow not find Makefile.am there.

In the end I called autogen.sh in the source directory but made sure, the
no configure will be run. (autogen.sh --help, which gives the --help option
to configure). Then I had to add the --copy option to the automake options
to copy missing files instead of symlinkning them. Symlinking does not work
over NFS (automake is not installed in the same place on all machines).

Sould we add --copy to the automake call in autogen.sh or is the possibility
to change this via am_opt from the outside enough?

BTW, the copy of missing files results in an error messages and automake stops.
I had to call it 3 times to get all missing files and have the normal automake
run.

The current configuration may be right thing, because all the Makefile-rebuild
rules look for Makefile in the current directory, Makefile.in in $srcdir
and Makefile.am in $srcdir too.

Bye, Uwe