Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-users] How to capture flow ATM on an optical fibre

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:42:00 -0700 (PDT)
> configuration:
> Debian, linux kernel 2.4.3

Which version of Debian?  When reporting problems on Linux systems, it's
important to indicate not only what version of the kernel is running,
but what distribution and what version of that distribution is running.

> Ethereal 0.8.14

What does "ethereal -h" report?

> How to capture flow ATM on an optical fibre with ethereal.
>
> In menu Capture:Start:  there is no Interface ATM,
> how to make to put one in the Interface menu.

Just because an interface doesn't appear in the menu in the
Capture->Start dialog box, that doesn't mean you can't capture on it.

Try doing "ifconfig -a" to find the name of the ATM interface, and then
just type that name into the "Interface:" text box.

If you can then start a capture, that means that, for some reason, that
interface wasn't in the list of interfaces Ethereal found; please mail
to "ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx" the output of "ifconfig -a" and the name
of the interface.

If you can't start a capture, that means that, for some reason, libpcap
couldn't open the interface.

I think the current version of libpcap in Debian "stable" is an old
version that can't handle ATM; I don't know whether the newer version is
in "testing" or "unstable" (right now, I can't reach "www.debian.org" to
check) - try installing the libpcap package from "testing", replacing
the current libpcap, and see if that works.  If not, try installing the
one from "unstable"; if that doesn't work, send to
"ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx" the message that Ethereal displays in the
message box it pops up when you try to start a capture.