Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] XML to describe protocols?

From: Richard Sharpe <sharpe@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:45:12 +0900
At 01:48 AM 4/12/01 -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:10:02PM -0700, Doug wrote:
>> I guess the question is how stateful are the protocol modules in
>> Ethereal,
>
>Some of them are quite stateful.
>
>However, there are many protocols that aren't, and a dissector-generator
>might work for them; even though not *all* protocols could be handled by
>having a "generic" dissector read an XML description, many of them
>perhaps could be.

I have had a couple of goes at this sort of thing, although I have
concentrated on a tool that can take a protocol description and turn it
into C code that would be an Ethereal dissector ... I have used Perl for
this ...

You can produce some things ...

I have yet to get back to this because income earning needs intruded ...

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe@xxxxxxxxxx
Samba (Team member, www.samba.org), Ethereal (Team member, www.ethereal.com)