Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] FYI: Compliments ... Re: Ethereal etc

From: Jeff Foster <jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:51:35 -0600
per Dian Eichert -

> There was a little discussion on the FreeBSD ISP mailing list last night
and
> ethereal was brought.  One of things out of it is they are going to make a
> sub-port of ethereal that only builds tethereal for the non X people.

Gilbert and Guy have already address this issue. Here is the text from the
email by Gilbert -

> > I saw a posting in August 2000 regarding compiling tethereal without
needing
> > GTK and other packages that are needed for the graphical backend of
ethereal.
> > I did not find any solution to that posting, and I am wondering if
anyone has
> > since succeeded in doing so...that is, compiling and building only
tethereal
> > without having to install GTK.
>
> I just now checked into CVS changes that will allow you to build
> tethereal and editcap without needing GTK+ installed. Thanks to Guy for
> doing to code cleanup for me; I only had to deal with autoconf/automake.
>
> The new configure script can detect if you don't have GTK+, and if you
don't,
> it won't build ethereal. You can enable/disable any of the 3 targets,
> ethereal, tethereal, and editcap, with --enable-XXX and --disable-XXX
flags
> (where XXX is the target).
>
> --gilbert

Please notify the people in the FreeBSD ISP mailing list so they don't
duplicate
the work that has already been done.

I have started some work on a curses based variant, however it is still
preliminary (doesn't compile yet) and will not be ready for some time.
I haven't posted anything to the CVS tree and don't plan to until I can
at least build it.

Jeff Foster.
jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx