Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Memory leak of ethereal-0.8.12

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <alvestrand@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:29:54 +0200
Is it a known bug that Ethereal 0.8.12 leaks memory?

I discovered it while wondering why Ethereal was so slow after capturing packets continuously for 3 days on a 486/66 with 40 Mbytes of memory.....call me weird, but I like watching. The program size was 40 Mbytes, resident 17 Mbytes; just after start, the program size was 5.9 Mbytes (as reported by ps -aux).

- OS: Linux 2.2.5 with SMP support, from Red Hat 6.0 distribution
- GTK: 1.2.6
- Ethereal 0.8.12 with GTK+ 1.2.6, with libpcap 0.4, without libz, without SNMP
- Command used: Start Ethereal with a remote display to another X server,
display options "Time of day", select "automatic scrolling in live capture" and "enable name resolution". Capture length 65535.
Start capture with a "not host <X server>" packet filter.
- Leave to stew for 3 days on a home LAN (low traffic).

If this is a well known problem, I'll wait for the next version of something... otherwise, I'm happy to try out patches and let the thing run.

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@xxxxxxxxx
+47 41 44 29 94