Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] dynamic dissector_add/rem

From: Richard Sharpe <sharpe@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:00:57 +0900
At 09:10 AM 9/18/00 -0500, Frank Singleton wrote:
>Hi
>
>I have a protocol xxx that starts on a "well known" port
>then creates a dynamic port also for xxx use, through
>negotiation with its peer.
>
>Can I use the dissector_add/rem functions at other
>times besides inside  proto_reg_handoff() to allow
>my dissector to register/handle this new dynamic port
>in the "tcp.port" dissector table or are there
>restrictions ??

Hmmm, an additional question relates to changing the dissector on the fly.

I was looking at an FTP session, and the FTPDATA packets happened to fall
on a MAPI port because of passive mode, so they were dissected incorrectly.

FTP could detect that sort of stuff and register the correct dissector.

Also, it would be nice in the packet list popup, to be able to include
another item that alows you to change the dissector for the highest,
undissected payload in a packet.

However, this will require some real programming work.

>Thanks / Frank..
>
>--
>EUS/SV/Z Frank Singleton      ASO Americas BSS
>Office : +1 972 583 3251      ECN 800 33251
>Pager  : +1 800 651 1184      Email : eusfrsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Amateur Radio: VK3FCS/KM5WS   Email : frank.singleton@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>Hardware: HP Omnibook 4150 running Redhat Linux 6.2 (2.2.16 kernel).

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe@xxxxxxxxxx
Author, Special Edition, Using Samba