Ethereal-dev: [ethereal-dev] Dissector without a name

From: "Dr.-Ing. Gerrit Gehnen" <G.Gehnen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 08:51:03 +0200
Hello,

I'm just finishing a dissector for the OSI over TCP/IP protocol
as defined in RFC 1006.

It was easy to write, because it's basically a well-know-port (102)
TCP/IP dissector, which creates a link to the OSI-branch of the
dissector-tree of ethereal.

But I have a problem:
RFC 1006 doesn't define a name for the protocol.....
My Linux-Box cites Port 102 as "iso-tsap" in services,
other lists of well known ports list port 102 as "TP0".
I'm not happy with both of them, because this naming is very
TCP/IP-centric.

Has anybody a better idea?

  Gerrit

Btw: You can read much about the ideas and visions of an network
designer in RFC 1006:
" It also permits a more graceful convergence and transition
strategy from TCP/IP-based networks to ISO-based networks in the
medium-and long-term." (From the Introduction, written 1987)
Now we are using RFC 1006 for the transition from ISO-based
networks to TCP/IP......