Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] SIOCGIFCONF

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:48:49 +0900
>I plan, at some point, to add to libpcap an API for getting a list of
>interfaces - which will not ignore loopback interfaces, but will attempt
>to open interfaces before putting them in the list - and make
>"pcap_lookupdev()" use that API and take the first interface from the
>list.

	I believe getifaddrs(3) is the way to go.  SIOCGIFCONF is too hard to
	use.  the code is available under BSD license, and can be found in
	*BSD lib/libc/net/getifaddrs.c.  we can ship it in "missing" directory
	(i'm not sure if it works on random other OSes or not, but it looks
	to be portable and it does provide a good API wrapping to the issue).

	the function was originated in Stevens book, and implemented by BSDI.

itojun