Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Match Selected...

From: Ashok Narayanan <ashokn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:38:24 -0400
Well, Match Selected was originally written as just a bytestring
comparison routine, so it could work either with selected bytes in the
hex dump window or a selected field in the protocol window. I suppose
it has been changed since then; too bad, because that byte selection
feature was useful.

-Ashok

> On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 06:38:54 Laurent Deniel wrote:
> >

> > The Match Selected feature currently works only if you have a field
> > selected in the protocol tree. A long time ago, if I remember correctly,
> > it was also working when you selected some bytes in the packet hex dump
> > window (with a display filter of the form frame[...] = ...).
> >
> > So we have 2 options :
> >
> > 1) make it work again with the hex dump window or,
> >
> > 2) disable the Match Selected menu item when there is no protocol row
> >    selected (like "Protocol Properties ...")
> >    and remove it from the right click popup menu of the packet list
> >    (since it is now only related to the protocol tree).
> >
> > Any remarks ?
>
> I don't recall Ethereal doing *anything* with the current
> selection in the hex dump GtkText widget.
>
> --gilbert

Ashok Narayanan
IOS Network Protocols, Cisco Systems
250 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
Ph: 978-244-8387.  Fax: 978-244-8126 (Attn: Ashok Narayanan)

                       "31337 h4x0r d00dz r00lz" - Anonymous