Ethereal-dev: [ethereal-dev] SMB/Lanman problem

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 00:52:44 -0400 (EDT)
Could someone who knows a little about SMB and Lanman take a look at the attached capture?  There's at least one problem with how these messages are decoded/displayed, and possibly a couple more problems.

In capture packet 1:

1) If you select the "Send Buffer Len" under Lanman protocol, the "S" in "Shopping Cart" (data) is highlighted as part of the buffer length field.

2) How we highlight portions of the hex data doesn't seem consistent with how we highlight data from other protocols.  Select Netbios, SMB, then Lanman, and notice how we're highlighting most of the rest of the packet?
I was expecting SMB to highlight just a portion, then SMB the next portion, then Lanman's section, then data.

3) Select Lanman protocol. The data at the end of the packet isn't highlighted or marked as such either under Lanman or as another field (although the data is shown under SMB). I would think for completeness, that the end of the packet (the data) should be shown as a field, instead of appearing to drop the packet analysis in the middle of the packet.

In capture packet 2:

1) Expand the Lanman protocol. Select "PrintJobInfo Response". Nothing in the packet is highlighted.  I'm guessing that we know this is the answer to packet 1 because of the MID and/or other fields? If so, we might want to note this somewhere on the display.

2) Select "Convert" - the last byte of the message is left without explanation or highlighting. I think we should mark it as whatever it is: padding/field/data.

Sorry I don't have any fixes for these items.  I looked around online a little for some good documentation on these protocols, but didn't stumble across anything...suggestions welcomed.

I've zipped the edited capture file and named it so that it should survive the mail ride.

Richard - thanks for the user documentation (you're saving me from having to write it for my boss).

Thanks,

Phil Techau